Making a move is usually an exciting time in a person’s life. They are going to be in a new environment and have the opportunity to experience new people and things. Or maybe they are simply moving out on their own for the first time and will have a new freedom.
And then there’s packing.
The dreaded step between deciding to make a move and actually doing it. Even the thought of packing can be overwhelming – thinking of everything that you’ve accumulated, how you’re going to pack it, make sure it doesn’t break, and then un-packing it. Take a deep breath, go one step at a time, and use these following tips to help you pack more efficiently:
- Take an inventory of all of your belongings. Taking an inventory of all of your belongings before you start packing can help you begin to plan for packing: how many boxes you will need, what you want to get rid of, how much time you will need to pack, etc. It can also help you keep track of your belongings during your move (and make sure nothing goes missing.)
- Plan ahead and label your boxes carefully. This doesn’t need to be a long detailed list, but put a plan for packing down in writing. This will help you clearly organize what you need to do and what you need to buy before you begin packing. When labeling your boxes be sure to include labels on the side so you can see what is in them even when they are stacked and write what room they belong in as well as what is in them. This will make unpacking easier and will also make finding something you need quicker.
- Pack an overnight bag of your essentials. Moving is exhausting. After moving everything from one home to the next it is unlikely that you will want to unpack everything. And even if you do begin to unpack, it is unlikely that you will get everything done that night. Pack an overnight bag with a change of clothes for the evening and the next day, toiletries, chargers, snacks, and anything else you think you will need that same day.
- Pack one room at a time. Packing only one room at a time will help make the packing process feel more manageable and less overwhelming. It will also help you to stay organized and keep things together to make unpacking easier.
- Get the right packing supplies. You will obviously need boxes and tape. But you will need to determine how much you will need. You may also be able to get empty boxes from friends, family, and businesses if you begin asking early enough.Additionally, you may need specialty supplies such as a box made specifically for a flat screen tv or a dolly to help you move heavier items.
- Wrap breakables in clothes or towels. Ok so this will go against the pack one room at a time rule – but it will also help you save money by not buying unnecessary bubble wrap. Grab a pile of clothes or towels and use them to wrap your dishes, glasses, and any breakable valuables and help keep them protected during your move.
- Get rid of things you no longer need or want. Moving is a great time to examine what you currently have and what you really need or want to keep. You can encourage friends to help you with the move by offering them first dibs on items you no longer want. You can also donate the left over items, some organizations even have services available to pick them up from you. The more you are able to get rid of the less you will have to pack!
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Because packing can be stressful and overwhelming it is often difficult to get it all done at once. The process will be much easier if you commit yourself to packing one room a day. Or setting aside 2-3 hours each day to pack. Make sure to plan ahead how much time you will need to completely finish packing and start early. This way when moving day comes, you don’t have to worry about packing while your moving or running out of time.